Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Salads

I hardly ever post salads here because they are so simple, and I usually improvise them, but lest you think that I never eat our veggies, I've decided to start sharing some favorites. For starters, here are three that I like having in the winter time. I don't think I need to post instructions, since these are pretty self-explanatory...

Baby arugula with blood oranges, smoked whitefish, and avocado (with a blood orange vinaigrette)


Raddichio with clementines, toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese (with an orange-honey vinaigrette)


Mixed baby greens with sliced apples (or Asian pears), spiced pecans (or almonds), and goat cheese (with an orange vinaigrette)


As you can see, these are all just variations on a theme. I generally make my dressing with the juices of whatever fruits I'm using (or the juice from olives), and I like to include something rich, like crumbled cheese, nuts, avocado, fish, or chicken. I think the best way to dream up a salad is to visit your local farmer's or produce market. Take a walk around and find one thing that looks particularly fresh and delicious, and then think of some other things that would go nicely together.

No comments: