Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hopple Popple (Split Pea Soup)

When I was a kid, my mom travelled a lot for business, and she would sometimes leave my dad and I with a pot of split pea soup to eat. My dad would serve it to me with cut up hot dogs in it, and he called it "Hopple Popple." Now that I'm all grown up, I still like hot dogs in my pea soup, but you could just as easily add ham, or just leave the meat out all together.

1 lb dried split peas
1 C chopped carrots
1 C diced potatoes
1 C chopped celery
8 C chicken or vegetable stock
1 small onion, diced
2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper

Cook the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour, or until all the vegetables are very soft. Puree in a blender or food processor. Serve with sliced hot dogs.

No comments: