Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crab Salad with Fried Green Tomatoes


While I was working in the garden the other day, I accidentally snapped off a tomato vine full of green tomatoes. Naturally, I had to fry them. Erik and I brainstormed about different dishes we could make to compliment the tomatoes, and I remembered a very good crab cake Benedict I'd had years ago at a diner, that used fried green tomatoes as a base. This being our month of salads, I decided to deconstruct the dish. I made a spicy remoulade (with sweet peppers, red onion, fennel, basil, chili, paprika, and mayonnaise) to dress the crab meat, and then I put together a salad of Romaine lettuce, more basil and sliced fennel, and sweet corn. For the tomatoes, I dredged them in flour (seasoned with paprika, Cayenne, salt and pepper), then egg mixed with buttermilk, and finally bread crumbs. I fried them lightly in oil, and I have to say that these were some of the best fried green tomatoes I've ever had! Sorry, South Carolina.

No comments: